Tuesday 24 July 2012

A Very Hungry Caterpillar

For several weeks in June and July a solitary Mullein Moth caterpillar lived in a Buddleia bush in my garden. It didn't move around the bush a great deal and so I was able to watch it grow steadily each day, much to the amusement of my children who enjoyed having their own pet 'Very Hungry Caterpillar'.  And it certainly was hungry. Eventually it decided it had eaten enough and it disappeared to form a cocoon in the soil where it will live for up to 4 years before emerging as an adult moth.

While the caterpillar was living in my garden I inevitably succumbed to temptation and photographed it on a number of occasions, including several in the 'Meet Your Neighbours' style (see this link for more information on the Meet Your Neighbours project).

PLEASE CLICK ON IMAGES TO ENLARGE THEM

The first three images were taken with a Canon 60mm macro lens with diffused flash against a sheet of white Perspex which is illuminated from behind by another flash.










The following image was taken with my Tokina 35mm macro lens against a blue sky.




Finally, to highlight the caterpillar's impressive 'face' markings I took the following image with my MPE-65mm macro lens.



No comments:

Post a Comment