Sunday 11 September 2011

Cinnabar Moth Caterpillars

These striking orange and black striped caterpillars are a familiar sight in mid summer, most commonly found feeding on ragwort and often in large numbers. I thought I would try something a little different by photographing them against a blue sky using a mix of flash and natural light (as described in Ladybird Take-off, below). I took the first shot from the ground looking up, which gives a strange perspective, while the second is perhaps a bit more conventional.

PLEASE CLICK ON IMAGES TO VIEW LARGER VERSIONS




Finally, a full flash shot. These images clearly show how effectively these caterpillars strip the foliage from the ragwort.


All shots taken with a Canon 60D with MP-E 65mm macro lens and a heavily diffused MT-24EX flash gun. I may do a post on my diffusion soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment