Tuesday 22 July 2014

Orange Tip Butterflies

Despite Orange Tip butterflies being quite common I've always found it surprisingly difficult to photograph them. They don't seem to be particularly plentiful at my local wildlife sites and the occasional sightings I have made typically involve them flying past with no intention of stopping.

Thankfully my luck changed this year. On a warm day back in April I visited a site and saw a number of Orange Tips on the wing and managed a few images of them feeding on Lady's Smock (Cuckoo Flower). I decided to return early the next day in the hope of finding some while they were still cool. As it turned out I found only two but they had yet to warm up and so posed nicely for me.

PLEASE CLICK TO ENLARGE IMAGES

The following 4 images were all taken with the aim of separating the subject from the background.

Canon 7D with Sigma 150mm lens



Canon 7D with Sigma 150mm lens



Olympus OM-D E-M1 with Olympus 60mm macro lens



Canon 7D with Sigma 150mm lens



In this image I deliberately chose to include the butterfly's habitat by shooting with a 35mm macro lens.



And finally, a couple of images of an active male Orange Tip





No comments:

Post a Comment