Thursday 27 March 2014

Frogs and Frogspawn

The last few weeks have been a busy time for my local frog populations. A large number of frogs congregated in the corner of a local pond and, judging from the amount of frogspawn, it looked like they had been busy. However on my third visit, which was only a couple of days after my second visit, there wasn't a frog to be seen. It seems they had declared the mating season over and dispersed. This was a shame as I was planning to take a number of further images including some with a wider lens. They will have to wait until next year...

Here are a few that I've processed already. There may be one or two more in due course.


PLEASE CLICK TO ENLARGE IMAGES


A Common Frog surrounded by frogspawn (400mm lens with extension tubes):



A close up of the frogspawn itself:



I liked the patterns in the water in this next image:



and finally another image similar to the first:


3 comments:

  1. Do the frogs sometimes eat the spawn? Great shot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good question - not as far as I know but I'm not 100% certain. I don't think it's common for them to do so. Thanks for your comment.

    ReplyDelete