Thursday 28 November 2013

Common Blue Butterflies

There are certain insect species that I can't resist photographing even though they already feature in a large number of my images. Ladybirds and jumping spiders would be 2 contenders for my 'most photographed species' but another would be the Common Blue butterfly. For me, summer wouldn't be summer without seeing these stunning blue butterflies flitting around a flowery meadow in the sunshine.

True to form, I therefore took a number of Common Blue images this summer of which the following are a selection:

PLEASE CLICK TO ENLARGE IMAGES



I was particularly pleased to get a few images of Common Blue females with their wings open. The females have predominantly brown wings.







...whereas the males have very striking blue wings.





and one or two with their wings closed for good measure.




No comments:

Post a Comment